Thursday, February 28, 2008

HOT, HOT, HOT

The only thing hot in Chesapeake City today was the roof at The Bayard House. Around noon the manager on duty called me and said the restaurant's roof was on FIRE!!! I jumped up and out the door I went. I only live a few streets away. Sure enough I pull up out front and small flames were shooting through the cedar shake shingles. I couldn't believe it.

The oldest building in our town (c. 1780) was on fire!!! On the roof were our "heros" and carpenter, Amos and his worker, Alan. They spotted the shingles on fire and asked for water. Luckily, they had their ladders there. They climbed on the roof as my wonder waiter, Billy handed them the fire extinguishers. They did the best they could with those and then the Chesapeake City Volunteer Fire Department showed up along with two other local fire companies. They had the fire out in a few minutes.


The damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. We will need a new roof, new drywall inside where there was water damage and a few other places. We were so lucky that Amos and his workers spotted it. The wind was blowing hard and it could have spread so fast. We are right next to 3 other homes...which are all wooden homes circa 1790's.

They believe the fire started with a backdraft in the fireplace inside and sent flames onto the roof. Thankfully no one was injured. All guests and employees made it out safely and all fireman were fine.

The cleanup is underway and everything should be ready to open back up by tomorrow night...I hope. Dick Legates a neighbor in town took these photos for me. Once I download mine, I'll post more.
HUGE THANKS go out to the Chesapeake City Fire Department, Hacks Point Fire Department and Singerly Fire Department...YOU WERE GREAT!!!

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow, I am glad wveryone was safe. Sounds like very minimal damage. You've got some heroes on your hands!!

Oyster Girl said...

Yeah Singerly Fire Company!! My old friends Mollie and Billy Graham volunteer with them!

I am glad the Bayard House is safe and noone was hurt!

Kim and Victoria said...

Wow! Lucky. Could have been so much worse, as you said.

Mara said...

That is so scary! I'm glad it turned out as well as it did.

viki said...

Never a dull momment in Chesapeake City!

Finally visited the blog site!

The Slikster (who any day now will be single and available - watch out! hahaha!!)

g said...

Oooooh I'm so glad you and everybody else are okay!