Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Did a 5 Year old do that?


I bought these super cute cookie cutters from Williams-Sonoma. I thought they would make a great dessert for a party in Maryland. I used Martha Stewart's Sugar Cookie recipe...I prefer The Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook recipe better. Martha's are more cake-like. Then I used my talented baker friend, Martina's recipe for Royal Icing. Well...as you can see....they look bad. Taste was ok...This was my first stab at royal icing. I think I was in a hurry and had the royal icing a little too thick for the flooding and it came out too pink. The cutters worked well but, you had to be careful with the crab claws. It was a good experience though..I am going to make more, but outline in royal icing and sprinkle with red sugar. I think they will turn out just as cute as the ones on the label. The whale and the octopus are my favorites. Those will be for another time.

Here's the recipe for the ones I like.

SUGAR COOKIE CUTOUTS

Chill dough 3 hours if necessary
Bake 7 mins per batch

1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
2 c. all purpose flour

Beat butter and shortening on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and a dash of salt. Beat till combined, scraping bowl. eat in egg and vanilla. Beat in as much of he flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
Roll out then cut out with your favorite cutters. Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 mins or until edges are firm and bottoms are light brown.

2 comments:

Great American Cookie said...

Those are great cookie cutters. If you are looking for a wonderful sugar cookie recipe check out herecookiecookie.com.

Oyster Girl said...

I also have a crab cookie cutter!

In the summer I often make a plate of little crab cookies to bring to cook outs.

Last 4th of July I brought a bushel to Laura and Chris in Texas---it was a big hit!

M-Stu's royal icing recipe is very good! When I make the crabs I like to make half the icing blue and the other half red. I often make it very runny so you can just turn the cookie over and "dip" it upside down on a plate--easy peasy icing technique!

Her cookie recipe is alright, but you do have to chill it well before inserting the cut pieces into the oven.