Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Paula's Shrimp


Last weekend, I found a recipe by Paula Deen in The Lady & Son's, Too cookbook for fried shrimp. I was expecting a heavier batter, but they were delicious. The batter reminded me of the onion ring's batter at Nikki's in Chattanooga. Next time I want onion ring I am going to make this batter and use Vidalia Onions...YUM!

Battered Fried Shrimp
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 cup of ice water
1 egg
2 tbls. melted fat or vegetable oil
2 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on.
Vegetable oil for deep frying

In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Beat in the ice water, egg and 2 tablespoons fat or oil. Dry the shrimp. Heat the oil for the frying in a heavy pot until it registers 375 degrees. Dip the shrimp in the batter and then drop them in the pot of oil carefully. Fry until golden brown...just few minutes will do the trick. Drain on paper towels and enjoy!

No comments: