Monday, September 24, 2007

While it's Still Fresh


A few weeks ago I visited our local produce stand and bought some eggplant. I wasn't sure what I was going to make with it...but I thought I would find something good...which I did in House Specials: Main Dishes by Nancy Coale Zippe. This cookbook features many recipes from locals, specifically, my mother-in-law, Brenda Gentry's recipe for Brunswick Stew.

The recipe I used was Eggplant Lasagna by Nicholas Albanese. My version omitted the use of broccoli florets. It was delicious and very easy to make.

4 ripe large eggplants
Italian style bread crumbs
7 Eggs
1.5 c. milk
Tomato based spaghetti sauce, store bought or your own

Cheese Mixture:
2 lbs. ricotta cheese
12 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
3/4 c. Parmesan and/or Locatelli cheese
2 eggs
2 t. chopped parsley
1 t. pepper
Peel and slice eggplants to 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Pour the bread crumbs into a flat dish. Beat eggs and milk together. Soak the eggplant slices in the egg/milk mixture, then coat the bread crumbs and bake for 10 mis on each side on slightly greased cookie sheet at 400 degrees until golden.
Saving 4 oz. of mozzarella cheese for the top, combine the cheese mixture ingredients in a bowl.
Lightly grease a 9x13 deep glass baking dish and spread some sauce on the bottom. Cover with half the baked eggplant. Spread a little sauce, then all of the cheese mixture; plus another light layer of sauce then the eggplant. Cover with more sauce. Top with reserved mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 35 mins.
To accompany the lasagna I also made Ina Garten's meatballs from the Family Style Cookbook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet mother of mary that lasagna sounds delicious! cut and pasted and on the printer!