Thursday, May 31, 2007

RECIPES!!!


Recently, I have really enjoyed trying new recipes and reading all of my cookbooks. Some of my favorites are Barefoot Contessa, Paula Deen, and Southern Living. One year Jeffrey made painted a tin box for my recipes(see photo above). I really like it and it reminds me of the one my Grandmom had where she had a few stashed...only a few because I think she remembered most of them by heart...how did she do that? I have noticed that my mom and mother-in-law can just rattle off recipes heads...I guess it comes from years of practice. At night, when I read through my books or check online I have been writing down my favorites and ones to try on the index cards for that box. I am sure it will be full one day.
One recipe that definitely made it in the box is one for Banana Pudding, I found at Southern Mamas. It is a recipe from Paula Deen. It is definitely not Mama Gentry's. I served it the other night and my father-in-law liked certain aspects of it, such as the consistency and the Chessman Cookies. Try it..it is definitely not YOUR Mama's.

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding
Paula Deen

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
6 to 8 bananas, sliced
2 cups milk
1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

1 comment:

-brittany- said...

Yum!!! I have made not-yo-mama's banana pudding several times. It is A-W-E-S-O-M-E